Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Sinai Code

I just started listening to this podcast message by Andy Stanley called, "The Sinai Code." It is a 5 part series that breaks the myths of the ten commandments. So far I have listened to the first 3 and they have really blown me away. He says that the commands were given not as a condition of a relationship with God, but a confirmation.
Think about that. God wasn't saying here are some rules to live by, and once you get these down pretty good, and become better people...then maybe we can think about a relationship. No...God loves us so much that He wants what is best for us...so He gives these rules to help us.
In the last one for example, Andy talks about the commandment, "Thou shalt not use the Lord's name in vain"
He said that word "vain" (which is used in the great old King James Version), started this thinking that you shall not say God's name as a cuss word when you stub your toe. Instead it means to not use His name for leverage, to help your own plans, to not misuse His name.
Andy gave this example of when the people where selling and conducting business in the temple. During that time people brought animals to sacrifice, so that God would forgive their sins. Though there were some who couldn't afford to have a lamb, so the priests seeing this, sold other animals in the temple. They acted like they were doing it in the "name" of the Lord. They were using God's name as a profit for personal gain. Some may still practice this too.
Some people probably didn't give it second thought. Well I guess if they are doing it in under the roof of the church...I guess it is okay...right? God's name was being misused.
But Jesus went in and turned that place upside down. He turned tables over and drove people out. He said "It is written my house will be a house of prayer, but you have turn it into a den of thieves!"
This has opened my eyes to the world around me. What are we saying is of God, but God has nothing to do with it? More importantly what am doing with God's name? Am I lifting it up or using it for my own glory?
If you get a chance you should really check this one out!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've just heard the first two of the series and I too have been blown away. I think that so many of the 30 somethings would benefit from hearing this message. The conditions that we've attributed to faith have left so many with had a terrible taste in their mouth. He does call us to be imitators of Him (a condition), but He also brings that possibility about in the life of the believer--so in that way, it's an invitation to imitate Him. This is a far more powerful motivator than mere guilt.

[sidebar: You haven't listed "Searching For God Knows What" by Miller in your list. Consider it. I'll even send you my copy. You'll thank me for it.]

Anonymous said...

Great work.