Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What this world needs

I recently heard these statements on the new Casting Crowns' cd, "The Altar and the Door." The song is called, "What this world needs", and at the end of the song there are some some things that are being said that I think are very powerful.

  • People aren't confused by the Gospel, they are confused by us.
  • Jesus is the only way to God, but we are not the only way to Jesus.
  • This world does not need my tie, my hoodie (or t-shirt), my denomination, or translation of the Bible...they just need Jesus.
  • We can be passionate about what we believe, but we can't strap ourselves to the Gospel...cause we are slowing it down.
  • Jesus is going to save the world, but maybe the best thing we can do, is get out of the way.

I started thinking about those statements...It is true in my life. I take the gospel and add my agenda to it. Instead of working to further the kingdom of Christ, I am trying to advance my own kingdom and establish my name, instead of bringing glory to His name. I have my own agenda in mind. I think having all this christian things means I am doing something right for the cause of Christ...but in reality when I am not desiring God, not doing it for His glory...I am only hurting the gospel. Will they know us by the t-shirts that we wear? By the way we picket with signs and then point and stare?

The harsh truth I have to realize, is that God does not need me. He chooses to use me and works through me. All I can do is sow the seed, the Holy Spirit does the work. He is God...He can use whoever He wants, and do whatever He wants. Who can tell Him otherwise? i am just humble and thankful that He would choose to use a frail and sinful creature like me to carry out His perfect will.

I have started this bible study recently on Galatians. It talks about how we were given this free gift of grace, with no strings attached. The gospel was made simple. Though Paul saw that others were adding their own spins on the glorious gospel. Making grace and salvation legalistic, meaning something that you had to work to earn. But no ammount of works could pay the debt we owe. Thank God for offering us Grace!!! He saw our past failures and dissapointments, and still showed favor to us by offering Grace.

Grace the free gift of a ever loving God.

No comments: