Tuesday, January 22, 2008

only a breath

Psalm 39:4-5 {New Life Version}

4) "O Lord, let me know my end and how many days I have to live. Let me know that I do not have long to stay here.
5) You have made each of my days as long as a hand is wide. My whole life is nothing in Your eyes. Every man at his best is only a breath.


Now more than ever I keep hearing how much we need to make the most of this moment. It seems like everything I come across and even the message at my church, keeps engraving this into my brain.

We are given this moment. We are not promised tomorrow, not really even 5 minutes from now. What am I doing with this time? With this life?

As of now, everyone probaly knows about the passing of actor Heath Ledger. I got to admit that shocked me. I was talking to my sister in law and she told me she saw it on the internet news. Then I turned on the t.v. to the news, and they confirmed the same thing. Dead at age 28. He has a 2 year old little girl...

I look at my life. I am 25 years old and have a 3 month old daughter. Am I making the most of this moment? Am I letting those close to me, know that I love them? Am I spending as much time as I can with my wife and my new daughter?

None of us know the span of our life. As the bible puts it, we are just but a "breath".

I am breathing right now. In and out. Life is that short. May I make the most of it.

The series at our church is called "30 days to live". It really helps stress the point, what would we do if we knew that we only had 30 days left to live. Would it change the way we live? Would we love more? Live more? Give more?

I find myself thinking when I am not so busy, I will make time...to go see my parents, to see my grandparents, to call an old friend, to do so many things. Though if we keep waiting we will miss those moments. We will always be busy, we are only promised now.

We were shown interviews of those that do not have that much time left, according to doctor's reports. I remember one of them said, " I would look at what I consider mundane in a new light. I would enjoy those moments."

If you have a chance, go over to www.stevenscreek.net and watch the messages on "30 days to live". They have really made an impact in my life and I hope they do the same for yours.

What would we do if we only had 30 days left to live?

No comments: