Monday, April 7, 2008

jar-food christian

( A picture is worth a thousand words...)



It's amazing how God teaches you things through everyday life.



The other night I was feeding Shaela a meal of sweet potatoes and turkey, and then for dessert a jar of banannas. I would watch her night after night devour the food in these jars till they were empty. Which always left me to wonder...does it actually taste like sweet potatoes and turkey? Does it remind me of being at Mom's for thanksgiving?



Well I fought it for as long as I could...so I took a taste...and to my suprise...IT TASTED NOTHING LIKE WHAT IT SAID ON THE LABEL!!! (I've met some who say it does, but apparently they must not have been tasting the same thing.)



That's when I thought to myself, "I could go for a big juicy steak". "Not any of this food processed into mush and then put into jars." Though that's when I heard a voice inside me saying, "You want to eat steak...but all you can handle is that jar food."



That's when God brought this verse to my mind. It is found in Hebrews 5:11-14.

11) We have much to say about this, but it is hard to explain because you are slow to learn.

12) In fact, though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God's word all over again. You need milk, not solid food! 13) Anyone who lives on milk, being still an infant, is not acquainted with the teaching about righteousness.

14) But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.





That hit me hard. Here I am wanting to have this solid food, and I can only handle this soft jar food, this milk. I mean I have heard this truths and principles about God before, I even know them...but I let my self get so careless, so lazy that I am not able to chew the large pieces!



Cause I can have all the head knowledge in the world, but until I put it into practice...it doesn't mean a thing. We are called not to just be hearers but also doers.



It also made me realize, I need to read my bible more. Like I said in an earlier blog, I have all of these bibles on my shelf, and may know of few verses here and there...verses to just get me by...but what else?



I need to dig in! Read scripture and find things out for myself, go deep and get rooted. I mean it is good listening to the pastor, but when I depend on him (or a speaker) to tell me about the bible, and let that be my only source of knowing it...then I am cheating myself out of a seven course dinner and settling for a jarfood version of truth. And then I will be just like my daughter, having someone spoon feed me. When I should be encouraging and strengthing other new believers. I should be doing something...instead of just sitting there and getting fat and lazy spiritually off jar food, I should be taking the solid food out to the hungry world!



I don't want to stay on infant food, I want to move onto the big juicy steak of God's goodness!

No comments: